The Commonwealth Shared Scholarships, set up by the Department for International Development (DFID) in 1986, represent a unique partnership between the United Kingdom government and UK universities. To date, more than 3,500 students from developing Commonwealth countries have been awarded Shared Scholarships. UK universities have offered to support the scholarships by contributing the stipend for the students from their own resources, or those which the university has been able to generate from elsewhere. See list of participating universities from the link below.
Eligible African Countries: Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia.
Field of Study: All courses undertaken must be demonstrably relevant to the economic, social or technological development of the candidate’s home country.
Eligibility: To apply for a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship scheme, candidates must:
- * Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- * Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- * Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October
- * By October, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard, or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
- * Not have studied Scholarship value: or worked for one (academic) year or more in a high income country
- * Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
Number of Scholarships: several scholarship (over 200) are awarded annually.
Scholarship value: The CSC funds the cost of tuition fees (at overseas rate), return airfares, and other allowances. Participating universities are required to support the student stipend for the award holder (at the rate set by the UK government).
Duration of scholarship: Awards are normally tenable for one-year taught postgraduate courses only.
How to Apply: Visit link below.