The Camargo Core Program is the historical and flagship program of the Foundation. Each year an international call is launched. The Camargo Core Program offers time and space in a contemplative environment to think, create, and connect. By encouraging groundbreaking research and experimentation, it supports the visionary work of artists, scholars and thinkers in the Arts and Humanities. The Fellowship is for:
* Research, experiment & create
* Exchange & network
* Work developed during the residency may be in any language. In the interests of Camargo’s interdisciplinary, multicultural community, candidates must be able to communicate well in English. A basic knowledge of French is useful, but not required.
* The time in Cassis must be spent on the project or area of inquiry proposed to and accepted by the selection committees, and ratified by the Camargo Board of Trustees.
* Fellows must physically be in residence at the Camargo Foundation. This stipulation does not preclude absences during weekends. Frequent or prolonged absences are not acceptable.
* Research should be at a stage that does not require resources unavailable in the Marseille-Cassis-Aix region or online.
* Applicants planning on conducting research in local archives may need to rent a car during their Fellowship at their own expense.
* An evaluation is conducted at the end of the residency period. The Foundation may ask Fellows two to three years after their fellowship for an update on the progress on the project or area of inquiry pursued while at Camargo Foundation.
* A copy of any publication (digital or paper) resulting from work done during the residency should be sent to the Camargo Foundation.
* Any publication, exhibit, or performance resulting from the grant should give credit to the Camargo Foundation.
During the review process, eligible applications are reviewed and evaluated in relationship to four criteria:
* the quality of the proposal
* the quality and significance of the professional accomplishments of the applicant
* the connection between the proposal and the Camargo Foundation / Aix-Marseille-Provence area
* the relevance of a residency at the stage of the career of the applicant
Number of Awards: 18 Fellowships/year, 9 artists and 9 scholars/thinkers
Value of Award:
* A stipend of 250 USD per week is available, as is funding for basic transportation to and from Cassis for the Fellow for the residency. In the case of air travel, basic coach class booked far in advance is covered.
* Fellows may not accept gainful employment that will prevent them from focusing on their project while staying at Camargo. Research leave or other forms of sabbatical are allowed, as fees for occasional lectures or participation in seminars. Additional grants with requirements that do not contradict the conditions of the Camargo Fellowship are encouraged.
* Spouses/adult partners and dependent minor children may accompany fellows for short stays or for the duration of the residency. Accompanying children must be at least six years old upon arrival and enrolled in and attending school or organized activities outside the Camargo Foundation campus, during the week.
* The Camargo Foundation’s campus includes twelve furnished apartments, a reference library, a music/conference room, an open-air theater, an artist’s studio with darkroom, and a composer’s studio. The Camargo Foundation does not have a dance studio.
Duration of Program:
* Fall (8 weeks from September 11)
* Spring (6 / 8 / 11 weeks from February 26)
How to Apply: Visit link below