The program leverages the resources of Columbia University and international organizations such as Human Rights Watch and WITNESS to provide proven grassroots leaders with skill-building and networking opportunities. Through workshops, seminars, Columbia University classes and meetings with policy makers and potential funders, participants will share their experiences, reflect critically on their strategies, and plan future campaigns.
* The Program is designed for lawyers, journalists, doctors, teachers, social workers, community organizers, and other human rights activists working with NGOs on issues
including sexual and gender-based violence, minority rights, LGBT rights, labor rights, migration, health, social exclusion, environmental justice, disability rights, and corporate social accountability.
* Participants are selected on the basis of their previous work experience in human rights, commitment to the human rights field, and demonstrated ability to pursue graduate-level studies. Full-time students or government officials will not be considered. Applicants holding full or part-time jobs pursuing their advocacy efforts are preferred.
* Advocates must work at the grassroots level. Applicants from high-income countries will not be considered except for those representing marginalized communities.
* Advocates must provide proof of institutional endorsement in English from their organizations for their participation in the Program and must commit to returning to that organization upon completion of the Program.
* Only one application per organization should be submitted. More than one application means all applications from that organization will be disqualified. It is up to the applicant to make sure no one else from the organization has applied.
Value of Program: ISHR makes every effort to provide full funding to cover participants’ program costs as well as travel and housing. A stipend is also provided for basic costs.
Duration of Program: The program typically starts in late August/early September and ends before the middle of December. Exact dates vary year to year and will be listed on the application.
How to Apply: Visit link below.