Each year, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA are invited to submit their proposals for collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge. Applications are then peer reviewed and up to 16 projects will be selected for funding. PhD students are appointed to the selected projects and begin their research in the following academic year under the supervision of their academic supervisor, with co-supervision from a researcher at Microsoft Research Cambridge.
The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa) was launched in 2004 and has so far supported more than 200 PhD students from more than 18 countries and 51 institutions. Microsoft scholarships consist of an annual bursary up to a maximum of three years for PhD supervisors and students to do collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge.
Eligibility: Applications must not be made by students but by PhD supervisors, who must have been in dialogue with the prospective Microsoft supervisor and jointly collaborated on the proposal prior to the submission deadline. Only applications from institutions in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa will be considered.
For an application to be considered, the following key requirements apply:
* The institute agrees to the terms and conditions in the PhD Term Sheet and EPSRC Term Sheet where appropriate .
* The applicant must be in dialogue with the prospective Microsoft supervisor prior to the submission deadline and jointly drafting the proposal.
* The proposed research must be closely related to our research ambitions at Microsoft Research in Cambridge:
o Artificial Intelligence
o Infrastructure for the Cloud
o The Future of Work
o Biological Computation
Microsoft is particularly interested in proposals related to:
* Machine Learning for Healthcare
* Optics in the Cloud (networking, storage and compute)
* Confidential Computation
* Designing AI for Human Partnership
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The monetary value of the award varies by country to reflect local differences in costs and overheads. Payment is made directly to the institution. The amount of the
scholarship is the maximum amount Microsoft Research pays to the institution. In addition, every Scholar receives a fixed hardware allowance and conference allowance.
Duration of Program: Maximum of 3 years
How to Apply: Visit link below.