The Japanese Government’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is offering scholarships to those who are enrolled in a master’s course, a doctoral course, or a professional graduate course at a graduate school, or who are conducting research in a specialized field at an undergraduate department, graduate school, institute attached to a university, etc. without the aim of completing the course, or who are receiving preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects prior to placement at the university, etc. (Excluding the Young Leaders Program(YLP) students or teacher training students.)
Eligible African Countries: Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabonese Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Zambia, Uganda and Zimbabwe
Fields of Study: Applicants should apply for the field of study they majored in at university or its related field. The fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities.
Those studying traditional entertainment arts such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or subjects that require practical training in specific technologies or techniques at factories or companies are excluded from this restriction.
* Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
* Age: Applicants generally must have been born on or after April 2, 1982.
* Academic Background: Applicants must be a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate. A person will
be deemed to have academic ability equal or superior to that of a university graduate, if he/she:
o has completed or will complete 16 years of school education in a foreign country (or 18 years of school education if he/she desires to enroll in a doctoral course in the field of medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, or pharmacy which is based on a 6-year course in a department or faculty); or
o Eligible applicants include those who otherwise satisfy or will satisfy qualification requirements for admission to a Japanese graduate school.
* Japanese Language Ability: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese, be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan.
* Health: Applicants must be free from any mental or physical disabilities that would impede the pursuit of study at Japanese graduate school.
* Arrival in Japan: “Arrival in Japan” is considered to be the arrival period specified in the application form; changes will not be permitted after submission of the application.
* Visa Requirement: Applicants must acquire College Student (ryugaku) visas before entering Japan.
* While the applicant is studying in Japan, he/she shall contribute to mutual understanding between Japan and the home country by participating in activities at schools and communities with the aim of contributing to the internationalization of Japan.
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Value of Scholarship:
* Allowance: 143,000yen (Research Students(non-regular students), 144,000yen (regular students in Master’s courses or professional graduate courses), or 145,000yen(regular students in doctoral courses) per month. (In case that the recipient research in a designated region, 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added. The monetary amount each year may be subject to change due to budgetary reasons.)
* Transportation to Japan
* Transportation from Japan: economy-class airplane ticket for travel from the New Tokyo International Airport or any other international airport that the appointed university usually uses to the international airport nearest to his/her home address.
* Tuition and Other Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be borne by the Japanese Government.
Duration of Scholarship: period of study
How to Apply: Visit link below.