The objective of the ABE Initiative master’s degree and internship program is to support young personnel who have the potential to contribute to the development of industries in Africa.
Eligibility: Target participants are from among the following three types of personnel.
- Persons from the Private Sector Young individuals who are or will be involved in economic activities in the local private sector maintaining and developing strong ties with Japanese companies.
- Governmental Officials Young officials, such as civil servants, who take part in governance and policy-making in order to enhance industries to whose development Japanese companies can contribute, and has a recommendation by a Japanese company.
- Educators Young individuals who are responsible for educating in Higher Education and TVET (Technical and Vocational Education and Training)
A full list of eligible study fields can be found on the scholarship webpage (link below)
- * Citizens of one of the 54 African countries
- * Between 22 and 39 years old (as of April 1st in the year of you arrival in Japan)
- * A bachelor’s degree
- * Applicants from government sectors/ educators who have both of the following:
- -At least 6 months working experience at their current organization -Permission from their current organization to apply
- * Have adequate English proficiency, both in written and oral communication (IELTS score of over 5.5 is preferred)
- * Clearly understand the objective of this program and have a strong will to contribute to the industrial development of their country while broadening and strengthening the linkage between their country and Japan
- * Not currently applying or planning to apply to scholarship programs offered by other organizations
- * Have good health condition, both physically and mentally, to complete the program
Number of Awardees: 200 participants from the 54 countries in Africa
Value of Scholarship and Internship: JICA will provide the following expenses for participant of the program which is equivalent to similar JICA schemes.
- * Tuition at Japanese university master’s degree programs (and research student)
- * Allowances for living expenses, outfit, shipping etc.
- * A round-trip airfare
- * Expenses for support programs during the study in Japan, including the costs of observation tours and internship
- * Other costs should be covered by the participants’ organizations or other individuals.
- Participants are not allowed to work while their stay in Japan.
Duration of Scholarship and Internship: It is expected that the duration of stay in Japan will be a maximum of 3 years. (6 months as a research student, 2 years as a student for master course and 6 months as an intern)
How to Apply: Visit link below.