Jointly organized by the United Nations University and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is designed to provide promising, highly qualified, young researchers with the opportunity to conduct advanced research relevant to the main thematic of Sustainability (UNU-IAS, Tokyo) in cooperation with host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutions.
Fields of Research: The following research projects at UNU-IAS are accepting applications for JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellows:
* Global Change and Resilience
* Governance for Sustainable Development
* Education for Sustainable Development in Africa
* Water for Sustainable Development (new project)
* Applicants must be citizens of countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan.
* Japanese nationals are not eligible, nor are those of dual nationality if one is Japanese. Also, those who have permanent residency in Japan are not eligible.
* Applicants must hold a doctorate received on or after 2 April 2012 when the fellowship begins or be scheduled to receive doctorate before the fellowship begins.
* Those who have been previously awarded a Standard or Pathway Fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan scheme are not eligible.
* Applicants with at least 10 months research and/or professional experience are especially encouraged to apply.
UNU-IAS will act as the nominating authority of the programme; and applications should be submitted to UNU-IAS, which will assist in securing acceptance from host researchers for short-listed candidates. UNU-IAS nominates candidates to JSPS based on the following criteria:
* the research objectives of the applicant and the quality of his/her research proposal,
* the relevance of the research proposal to the ongoing or planned research activities of the applicant’s indicated Research Programme at UNU-IAS, and
* the applicant’s academic merit and his/her potential for successful research while in Japan.
UNU intends to inform successful candidates of the results of the nomination in May. JSPS takes up to 3 months after receiving the nominations to process its award decisions.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
* A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
* A monthly maintenance allowance of JPY362,000
* A settling-in allowance of JPY200,000
* Overseas travel, accident, and sickness insurance coverage, etc.
Duration of Program: Fellowships are awarded for a period of 24 months.
How to Apply: Visit link below.