A research grant enables the scholar to perform high-level research at a U.S. educational institution, aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at his/her home institution. Applicants need to have a proven track record of productive scholarly research, and publications.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: SA nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program).
- The Fulbright SARSP is open to scholars in all disciplines and without regard to gender or age; however, proposals for clinical medical research involving patient contact cannot be approved under the Fulbright Program.
- Applications for doctoral dissertation research, post-doctoral research immediately following completion of a doctorate degree, or general professional travel, are ineligible.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright scholar grant.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have had no experience or only limited experience in the U.S.
- Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in English to carry out their projects and collaborate effectively with colleagues. TOEFL exams are not required. However, the U.S. Embassy reserves the right to administer an English language test, if necessary, to evaluate applicants’ language skills.
- Applicants must be in good health. Successful candidates will be asked to submit a Medical History and Examination Report.
- Scholars who were unsuccessful in previous competitions may re-apply. Repeat applicants should revise their proposals, update curriculum vitae, and obtain current letters of reference.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Monthly stipend based on the cost of living at the research site.
- Monthly dependent allowance for accompanying dependents.
- Round trip airfare for the grantee.
- Round trip airfare for one dependent accompanying the grantee for a minimum period of 80% on an eight- to nine month grant.
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel.
- Professional allowance for books, conferences, and seminars.
- Settling-in allowance.
- Primary medical insurance coverage for the grantee.
Duration of Award: 3-9 months
How to Apply: Apply via link below